Skip to main content

New Skilled Worker, Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class

Canada’s economic immigration programs are being overhauled effective January 1, 2013. Changes include:

  • Canadian Experience Class - reduced Canadian work experience requirement to 12 months
  • Federal Skilled Worker Class - rebalanced points among the existing selection factors

For more details, please refer to the Government of Canada's article in Canada Gazette.

The Definition of Work and Work Permit Requirements

“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market.  This means that work permits are usually required, whether the activities are paid or not. There are very few exemptions.

Temporary Foreign Work Permits

A work permit is employer, location and job title specific. This means that before a temporary foreign worker can start a different position to that they were originally hired to, a new work permit will probably be required, and if applicable, a new labour market opinion.

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

As of December 1, 2011, the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents have a new option when visiting Canada. They may be eligible to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa and enjoy visits to Canada of up to two years (to a maximum of 10 years), without the need to renew their visa status. Among other things, proof of medical coverage is required. Please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for more information.