Similar to air travel, anyone who is entering Canada via land boarder crossing, regardless of citizenship, is required to follow testing and quarantine requirements as laid out by the government of Canada.
Prior to travel, please keep in mind the following procedures:
- Secure your quarantine plan for when you enter the country
At this time, the government of Canada is requiring that all travelers entering the country must quarantine for 14 days minimum. These plans must be submitted via the ArriveCAN app prior to departure. For a detailed description on the requirements of the quarantine plan, please visit the following government website. Please see the York University Quarantine Plan page for the university's quarantine requirements.
- Get your pre-entry COVID-19 test
All travelers over the age of 5 years old must provide proof of negative molecular COVID-19 test that was taken within 72 hours of their scheduled flight to Canada. Please note an antigen test will not be accepted. For a list of accepted types of tests, please visit the following site.
- Download the ArriveCAN app on your smart phone
You will be required to submit your information via the ArriveCAN app. This includes your contact information, your quarantine plan and COVID-19 symptom self-assessment. When arriving in the country, ensure you are able to show the border agents the receipt output from this app once completed. Further details on the ArriveCAN app can be found at the following link.
- Create a Switch Health account
Create a Switch Health Account. Switch is used to manage COVID-19 test kits at all land border crossings. Further details can be found here.
Once you have reached the Canadian border, please complete the following:
- Have your ArriveCAN receipt, test results, hotel confirmation and quarantine plan ready for assessment
- Collect both COVID-19 testing kits from the border officer
- Drive directly to your pre-planned quarantine location to complete your 14-day mandatory quarantine
- Use ArriveCAN to confirm arrival at the quarantine/isolation address provided within 48 hours of entry
- Use ArriveCAN to check in and report daily your COVID-19 symptom self-assessment
For further details, please visit the following link.